The Tony Elumelu Entrepreneurship Programme is a pan-African support initiative designed to give African entrepreneurs business training, mentorship and financial aid for their businesses. The annual programme that was launched in 2015 is a product of Tony Elumelu Foundation (TEF). The programme aims to empower 10,000 entrepreneurs and private businesses within a 10-year period.
The TEF Entrepreneurship programme has today launched applications for the year 2020 and it will be on till 1st of March.
We have compiled these 5 tips below to help you have a seamless application.
1. Business Idea: You need a business that is either running, and not more than 3 years old since inception, or a business idea (business plan) that is relevant to recent market demands and/or trends.
2. Documents: If your business is already in existence, you will be required to submit the following documents in the course of your application:
- Valid Government-issued Identification
- Official Business Registration Certificate
- Official Evidence of Business Ownership
- Official Evidence of Directors
- Official Consent by Partners to apply
If all you have is a business idea, you won’t be required to upload any of these documents in your application.
3. Online Application: The application can only be completed online through the APPLICATION PORTAL through the TEFConnect platform on the TEF website. Every applicant is expected to answer all the questions marked compulsory within the application period in order to stand a chance to qualify for selection into the programme.
4. Selection Criteria: Applicants are judged and selected based on 5 core criteria, they are:
- Feasibility of the idea
- Market opportunity
- Financial understanding
- Ability for the business to scale
- Leadership and entrepreneurial skills
5. Pan-African Initiative: Beneficiaries will be selected if they’re Africans with businesses or business ideas based in Africa and for Africans. The programme is open to ideas from all 54 African countries from which the best 1000 will be selected.