Many people still find it hard to differentiate a vision statement from a mission statement. To clarify things, a vision statement outlines what a brand or company would like to ultimately achieve and gives purpose to the existence of the organization, basically the bigger goal. On the other hand, a mission statement stipulates what guides the actions of employees and draws in customers or clients, it explains what the company intends to accomplish.
It is also very important to revisit your vision from time to time to see how well company activities are helping to reach the goal of the organization.
Guide to creating an effective vision statement
- It should be concise: It’s easy to get carried away by how your company is going to positively impact humanity and rid the world of all evil but your vision statement should be short and memorable. It has to be simple for people to understand, no industry jargon or buzz-words.
- It should be specific to your niche or sector. Customers or clients should be able to connect the dots and understand your company’s ultimate objective.
- It should align: Vision statements generally are made to align with the company values that you want your team to keep in my mind as they perform their work.
When it comes to mission statement, it describes what your company is doing right now and this will certainly change over time as demands and tastes change. The statement should capture your core abilities, should be inspiring and clear. Just like the vision statement, it is good to keep it short. In addition, the following should be adhered to in creating the perfect mission statement.
Guide to creating an effective mission statement
- It should reflect company’s long term goals
- It should be open to change when it doesn’t represent the company anymore.
- It should encapsulate what the brand is currently known for within its industry (This shows whether or not a company will achieve its vision statement)
- Check with employees to know their thoughts ad get their contributions on the mission statement since they’ll be working towards the vision statement.