Oyingbo Market is one of the oldest and busiest markets in Nigeria. It is precisely located in the Ebute Metta area of Lagos state.
Originally a depot for agricultural produce, Oyingbo market was established by the Aworis who inhabited the southern and central parts of the Lagos Mainland before the British Establishment in 1851. It used to be a depot for agricultural produce from across the country. But then, rapid socio-economic development around Ebute-Metta and the Lagos Mainland had impacted hugely on the evolvement of the market, thereby making it grow bigger, not only in size but also in the variety of goods available within its confines.
In the 1930s, traders around Apapa road were moved to the current location to further boost the size of the market and expand the variety of goods to include meat and livestock. As a major commercial centre, the market attracted patronage from across Nigeria and beyond.
Onyingbo market was demolished under the administration of the then Chairman of Lagos Island local government, Adetayo Oyemade, in a bid to rebuild it into an ultramodern market but he could not award the contract for the reconstruction before leaving office. The second attempt was made in November 1991 with late Bashorun M.K.O. Abiola as the Chairman of the Fund Raising Committee. Due to a number of factors, this effort equally brought limited success.
However, on Sunday, 15th March 2015, former Governor of Lagos State Babatunde Fashola commissioned the new modernised market and the project was finalised.
The new ultramodern Oyingbo market complex is a four-storey building built on a 504 square meters land with about 150-car capacity parking lot on the ground floor, 622 open shops, 102 lockup shops, 48 open offices, 134 toilets and six exit gates.
What else do you know about the history of Oyingbo market?