Your business name is central to your business brand. Your name should work well wherever you use it – on the phone, in your logo, signage, stationery, advertisements, website, email and any other media you plan to use to reach your market.
Here are seven (7) tips to help you choose the right name for your business.
1. Think about the future – Avoid words or phrases that are likely to date quickly.
2. Keep it simple – Pick a name that is easy to say and easy to spell to ensure that customers can recommend you and find you online.
3. Consider your overseas market – If you’re likely to be trading overseas, check that the name doesn’t mean anything inappropriate in the relevant languages.
4. Be creative – Don’t be afraid to come up with a name that is unique and personal to you, just make sure that it is also memorable and represents your business effectively.
5. Check out the competition – Research the type of names that your competitors have. Use this to spark ideas and find a name that will make your business stand out and attract customers.
6. Think about callers and customers – Avoid very long names and strange wordings. If you’re planning to advertise in business directories, think about using a name that appears near the beginning of the listings for your type of business.
7. Check availability – Once you have decided on a possible business name, ensure that the name is not being used by another business.