Everyone needs a side hustle in this present economy but can everyone truly have a side hustle that doesn’t take up so much time?
In the same vein, sadly, the unemployment rate has increased by 33.3% in Nigeria since December 2020 according to the National Bureau of statistics. Many have lost their jobs and are looking for a means of income to survive the current economy.
In this article, a few tips on how to start a YouTube channel in 2021 as a full-time content creator or as a side hustle will be talked about. This will help an intending content creator start and gain extra income on YouTube.
- Research: Thankfully, there have been other content creators on YouTube before you and most of them make videos about their experiences and challenges before they started and thrived. This will serve as a guide and will provide information on the tools and equipment needed to create quality content.
- Have a content plan: Make a YouTube content plan (a month for starters) that includes relatable and interesting content that will be shared with your target audience. Plan to post videos regularly so the audience can have content to look forward to daily, weekly, or monthly.
- Create a channel: A YouTube channel can be created with a google workspace account (Gmail). Use a creative name for your channel that ties to your other social media, the type of content the channel will be about, or your full name for authenticity and synchronization.
- Be Creative: Come up with content for the channel that resonates with the selected niche or target audience. The delivery of this content should however be unique. Do not copy the style of other content creators that deliver the same genre of content. Be original.
- Create videos, post, and publicize: As a beginner, a smartphone will suffice to record a YouTube video. The video should be recorded in the highest quality and edited to the taste of the viewers. Easy-to-use editing apps like Adobe Premier Pro, Vimeo, Inshot, etc… can be used to edit videos. An intro montage can be created as well. Upload the final video on the channel and publicize it on social media and amongst contacts.
Over time, the Channel grows as subscriber count and the number of watched hours increases and one can be eligible to earn money on Youtube. The least number of subscribers and watched hours to start earning is 1000 and 4000 respectively. This means that ads can be placed within the videos and the creator can now earn. Start today and grow a channel to earn extra cash.